1. Roof shingles are falling off or missing in places. Your roof shingles are extremely important to the overall structure and health of your roof. If they are falling off or missing, it’s time to call in a professional.
2. Older/past due warranty. Roofing materials only last a certain period of time. Your roof really takes a beating every winter, especially here in the Pacific Northwest with our heavy rains, winter freezes, and warm (lately hot!) summers. So, it’s no wonder that after a period of time, materials need to be replaced. Common roofing material warranties for asphalt shingles last about 20-25 years with good maintenance.
3. Curled, rusted, or nonexistent flashing. Flashing helps protect joints and projections in your roof. If the metal flashing is separating from the roof structure or rusting away, act fast and get a roofer to take a look at it. You may just need to replace the flashing, or there could be a deeper problem.
Also, if there is no flashing on your roof or there is just tar which has been used as protection, definitely call your local roofer right away. Tar is not a good enough seal for proper leak protection.
4. Curling or buckled shingles. Old shingles tend to curl or buckle over time. They can also seem to have “bald spots” as a portion of the shingle has worn away or been damaged.
5. You can see daylight through your roof. If your roof has deteriorated to the point that there are actual holes or cracks that you can see light through, definitely contact your local roofer as soon as possible. There is nothing leak-proof about your roof in this condition!
Getting your roof assessed to see if it needs repairs or replacement is important this summer! If you’re local to Portland, give Tom Leach Roofing a call at (503) 238-0303. We would be happy to help!