Spring officially begins in just one month. But, in spite of the crazy weather that just past, it is starting to really feel like Spring. While this is the season for warmer weather, sunshine, and sparkling showers, it’s also time to get your home in order. Here is a list of things to do to get your home ready for Spring:
1. Take a look around the exterior of your home for any damage. Take a look at your siding, the caulking around windows and doors, the gutters and downspouts, and your roof. If you have concerns about your roof in particular, and it’s unsafe for you to take a closer look at the damage – or you aren’t comfortable with giving it an above-ground inspection, contact a roofer. They will often give you a free estimate on any work that needs to be done.
Be sure to keep note of any damage you see and any areas of concern. This way you can list out problem areas by order of importance and address them appropriately.
2. Clean up your gutters and downspouts. With all the wind and rain that has come through Portland, it’s a good idea to get your gutters and downspouts cleaned out. Additionally, get any debris cleared from your roof. Debris sitting on your roof can ultimately damage your shingles and cause leaks.
3. Get your ducts and filters cleaned or replaced as needed. Now that you’ve been using the heater all winter, it’s time to get everything cleaned out, get your filters replaced if they need it, and to check that your air conditioner is in proper working order.
4. Now that it’s not freezing outdoors, clean your windows from the inside and the outside. This will add light to your home and brighten everything up. Additionally, get your window treatments and drapes cleaned or changed out for a new look.
5. Test out any emergency systems in your home. Check that your smoke alarm, carbon monoxide alarm, and home alarm are all working.
6. Mulch your yard. With the wind, snow, and rain, some of your winter mulch or ground cover may have died or been blown away. Try freshening up the mulch around your yard to help your grass and other plants in the Spring.
7. Eliminate any winter clutter. There may still be a box or two left out from the holidays – or perhaps winter guest rooms haven’t been cleaned up yet. Try to remove any clutter you don’t need to make your home cleaner and more spacious.
8. Retire your chimney. It may be a little soon to close up your chimney for good, but you can always clean out your fieplace and get a cleaning scheduled in advance of the Spring crowd.
Now that the weather has turned toward sunshine and warmer weather – it’s time to prepare your home for the rest of the year.