Summer is rapidly approaching and it seems like the weather knows it. We’ve had some great, sunny days here in the Pacific Northwest. With all this summery weather, what should homeowners do to best take advantage of it and get their home ready for the official beginning of the season? Here are several home maintenance tips that will help you get ready for summer:
- This time of year is perfect for cleaning the outside of your home. Start from top to bottom. Get your roof cleaned, your chimney swept and rid your gutters of debris. Then move on to your siding and windows. Finish by cleaning up your yard and making it ready for summertime fun.
- Since we get the least amount of rain in summer, it’s a perfect time to seal your roof, deck, or driveway.
- Be sure to replace or clean your furnace and air conditioning filters. Even if you won’t be using your furnace, you want it ready for any chilly weather.
- Get your ducts cleaned out. This time of year is a great time to get all of your home ducting cleaned out, including any exterior exhaust ducts.
- Install a rain barrel. It’s very likely that we will get some rain before summer’s end. Take advantage of that by harvesting it and using the rainwater to help your thirsty lawn through dry times.
- Clean off and bring out your outdoor furniture.
- Change out your outdoor lighting. It gets dark much later this time of year, but it’s also the time of year we like to go outside most. So, string up any fairy lights, change out any dead outdoor lights or light fixtures, and prepare to spend some great nights outdoors.
- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Check your hoses for leaks before you use them.
- Inspect your eaves, soffits, sliding doors, window frames, and deck for rotting wood.
These are just a few summer home maintenance ideas for this year’s hot season. Enjoy the sunshine!