Out of sight, out of mind. Homeowners don’t see our rooftops every day, so it’s easy to forget about them. But a house roof should never be taken for granted.
After all, while you don’t spend much time gazing at your roof, it’s an essential part of your home–one that provides protection from wind, rain, hail, and snow and helps your house to maintain a steady temperature.
Especially in the here in Pacific Northwest, roofs can really take a beating. Over time, leaves, moss, and debris can build up on your roof and in your gutters.
Why Hire A Roofing Company for Roof Maintenance?
The primary cause of roof problems is poor maintenance. A roof is one of the largest components of your home, so its care should not be taken lightly. In fact, your roof’s lifespan can be drastically cut short when proper maintenance is neglected.
Following are 6 reasons to schedule regular maintenance on your roof.
- A well-maintained roof lasts longer. A roof that has regularly scheduled maintenance will last much longer than a roof that is neglected–an average of 15 to 30 years.
- It’s important to regularly inspect your roof for damage. Damage can occur at any time and without warning. A tree falling on your home may be obvious roof damage, but most types of damage go unnoticed. With age and prolonged exposure, granule loss can expose your roof’s matting, shortening the life of your shingles. Heat and sun damage can cause shingle cracking, which breaks down the roof’s water sealant. A trained roofing professional should inspect your roof on a regular basis to note any current or potential problems before they cause a big problem.
- Your warranty may not completely protect you. A warranty can give you a false sense of security. It’s important to remember that just because your roof came with a warranty doesn’t mean that it will be ultimately repaired or replaced. Every warranty has fine print, and some warranties may not cover repairs or a new roof caused by lack of care.
- Regular maintenance actually SAVES you money. When you wait until something goes horribly wrong–like rain leaking into your home–you may be looking at spending thousands of dollars in roof repair. Preventing the problem is much more cost-effective than fixing the problem. Take the example of a leaking roof: water can seep into your attic space, damaging wood framing, insulation, and other house components–not to mention mold growth. The cost to fix a problem of that magnitude far outweighs the cost of regular maintenance.
- You’ll enjoy peace of mind. Instead of worrying about problems developing with your roof and how you’ll pay for them, regular maintenance offers you peace of mind. Potential issues will be addressed as they come up, before roof damage becomes an issue. Plus, you’ll have the ability to plan on regular roof maintenance in your budget, so the cost doesn’t surprise you.
- You’ll know when your roof needs a good cleaning. When a trained professional is inspecting your roof, he or she will also gauge whether or not your roof requires a cleaning. Here at Tom Leach Roofing in Portland, OR, our qualified roofing professionals clean roofs & gutters without using harmful pressure washers that will wear off the surface of your shingles. While we’re at it, we can also repair any minor leaks and dry rot that may occur over time.
How Often Should A Roof Be Inspected?
So, you’ve got six reasons to have your roof inspected and maintained. But how often should you have roof maintenance performed? The answer depends on a few factors—the age of your roof, local weather conditions, and any problems identified during previous inspections.
In most cases, a new, healthy roof should be inspected at least once every 2-3 years. As your roof ages, you may need to have it inspected once a year to stay ahead of any potential problems.
4 Steps to Hiring a Roofing Company for Roof Maintenance
Once you know that you need the help of a local roofing company, the next step is deciding which roof company to hire. It’s important to find a company that is truly reliable, reputable, and knowledgeable. But how do you wade through all the listings to find the right one?
Following are 4 helpful steps to hiring a roofing company in Portland, OR.
Step 1: Do your Homework
Run a Google search on tree services in your area. Take time to look through each company’s website. Is it professional and informative? Look through their online reviews on Google (included in their Google listing), Yelp, and Facebook. Are customers raving about their experiences or do they have a lot of negative reviews?
You can also check their standing with the Better Business Bureau if you wish. This step alone can help you narrow down the pool to the most reputable companies. Angie’s List is another service that is great for finding reputable service companies and reviews, but it does require a membership.
It can also be helpful to ask friends and neighbors if they have a tree service they love doing business with.
Step 2: Get More than One Opinion
When you need professional roof maintenance or roof repair, it’s a good idea to obtain more than one opinion and price quote. Choose the top 2-3 roofers from your research and ask each of them to provide an on-site consultation.
Step 3: Ask the Right Questions
When talking to roofing companies, be sure to ask these 4 important questions below so there are no surprises.
- Are you licensed and bonded, and do you have general liability insurance and workman’s comp insurance? A good roofing company will be fully licensed, bonded and insured for your protection as a consumer. This spares you from liability should an accident or damage occur during the job and shows that the company has put in the time and resources to be professionally licensed and protected.
- Do you have a client referral list? While you can find the most unbiased reviews online, a good company should still be willing and able to produce quality client referrals and/or case studies to show that they have successfully completed the type of work you need to be done. Ask for the names and numbers of clients for which they have done work for at least one year.
- What is included in your fee? When provided with a price estimate–whether for regular maintenance or repairs–be sure to know exactly what is included in the price.
- Are your roofing professionals full-time employees or subcontractors? Look for a company who employs full-time roofers. Avoid companies that subcontract out their work.
Step 4: Get it in Writing
Finally, once you have decided on the roofing company for your project, be sure to get a written contract. The contract should detail exactly what is being done, the timeline of the job, the price quote, and any potential add-on fees. A written contract protects both you and the providers and helps prevent misunderstandings and miscommunication.
If your roof is feeling neglected, it’s time to call a professional! And if you’re looking for roof maintenance in Portland, OR, be sure to call the friendly professionals at Tom Leach Roofing.
At Tom Leach Roofing, we have earned a reputation for top-notch service, excellent craftsmanship and fine attention to detail. When you hire us, you’ll not only get a job that’s done exactly the way you want it, but you’ll get a price that’s fair and competitive.
What’s more, we have been in the roofing business for more than 30 years and we’re professionals. This means we stand behind our work, whether it’s a new roof or simply a roof repair. Whether you need us next week, 5 years from now, or even in 10 years, we will be here!