Metal roofing is relatively new to the roofing industry. Older metal roofs tend to have a specific “look” about them because that is all that was available in metal roofing. However, now we aren’t limited to one style of metal roofing. Here are some interesting facts that you might not know about metal roofing:
- Metal roofs generally last much longer than shingle or shake roofs. The usual warranty period for a metal roof is 45 years to a lifetime.
- There are many different styles of metal roofing available. You can get metal roofing materials that look like shingles, shakes, tile, or the traditional standing seam metal roof.
- With all the rain here in Portland, OR, many people have a concern about the noise metal roofing might make. Metal roofing can actually be installed with underlayments that silence your home from rain and weather. This way you don’t get the “waiting out a storm in a tin shed” effect.
- Metal roofs are considered “green“.
- Because metal roofing materials are reflective, they cut down on cooling bills in the summer.
- The majority of metal roofing materials are sealed against rust. However, some may need to be treated additionally. Your roofer will know exactly what to do with whichever materials you choose.
- With metal roofs, you aren’t just stuck with shiny silver. You an get copper roofing or you can get the metal painted. This means that if you get sick of your roof, you don’t always have to replace the entire thing in order to get a new look.
- Metal roofs are fire resistant, as well as wind and weather resistant.
- A metal roof can actually be lighter in weight than a traditional shingle roof.
There a lot of misconceptions about metal roofing out there. We hope we’ve provided you with new information here, so you can make an educated decision about your roofing needs.