Metal roofing is becoming more and more popular. There are great reasons for this. Metal is longer lasting than traditional roofing material and it’s a green material. If you’re considering getting a metal roof installed at your home, consider these five points:
1. Check the warranty. Metal roofs often have a materials warranty for around 50 years. This is one of the reasons the material is more expensive than traditional roofing. Be sure you understand the materials warranty and the warranty which guarantees the work your roofing company is doing.
2. You have many options. You are no longer stuck with a traditional “tin” barn-type roof. There are a ton of materials options when it comes to metal roofing – so consider which one will fit best with your style and your home.
3. The paint finish on your roof may have a shorter warranty time than the roof itself. If you are getting a roof with a paint finish, your warranty may be reduced to about 30 years. This is usually because the paint won’t last nearly as long as the metal will.
4. Remember this will likely cost more in the short term – but may save you money in the long term. Usually metal roofs are more costly than asphalt roofs. This is because of the material and the complexity of installation. However, there are benefits which offset these costs. For example, metal roofing is a green material, so it will reflect the heat of the sun rather than absorb it. This is keeps your home cooler in the summertime and can help you out with energy bills.
5. Metal roofing is more resilient than other roofing types. You don’t need to worry about wood boring beetles trying to drill a hole through a metal roof. Nor do you have to worry about fire, mildew, or dry rot.
There are a number of choices of roofing material available. If you are considering a roof replacement – be sure to explore your options rather than picking a duplicate of what you’ve always had.