It’s become more and more normal these days to do home repairs on a “DIY” basis. In many cases, this works out just fine. However, when it comes to your roof, there are several compelling reasons why a professional might be your best bet. Here are several signs that you should choose a professional for your roofing work – instead of trying to do it yourself:
1. You have an unexplained leak which you cannot find the source of. Leaks are notoriously difficult to track down – and leaving a leak alone can result in major water damage in your home. So, when you don’t know where the water is getting in to your roof, call a pro to figure it out for you.
2. You don’t have a ton of time or you want to save some money. Doing a fix yourself can cost you time in watching “How to” videos and trying to figure out what you need to do. Roofers are specialists and know how to fix your roof. Additionally, they can often get materials discounts because they work with manufacturers or distributors directly. This may mean that a better type of roofing is more affordable for you – and it may give you access to roofing materials that are difficult to find.
3. You want a warranty. Most roofing companies or contractors are willing to provide you with a warranty on the work they have completed. This often includes a warranty for both the work completed as well as the materials used.
4. You’re worried about injury. Not only does a professional roofer know all the safety necessities for your roof, their workers are insured. This means any liability for injury is covered by the company. You should always check that your roofer has a CCB#, and is licensed, bonded, and insured. This adds an extra layer of safety for you.
5. Your roof is made of specialty material like metal, slate, or thatch. Many specialty roof types last longer than asphalt shingles, but also need special care if there’s something wrong. Some roofing types (like thatch) look fantastic, but do need some extra care. If your roof has a specialty material, it’s a good idea to get a professional roofer to help you out.
All in all, roofing systems are easy to maintain. But, if there’s something wrong with your roof, calling a professional to take a look at it can only benefit you and your home.