Spring is right around the corner and it’s time for you to prep the house! Tom Leach Roofing wants to help by providing you with a comprehensive home maintenance checklist. Just print it out and get started!
Examine the roof from the ground with binoculars or through the zoom function of your camera. What you are looking for is:
- Ripped, curled, or missing shingles
- Rusted or loose flashing
- Missing flashing
- Debris build up or plant growth
- Loose or full gutters and/or downspouts
- Damaged gutters/downspouts
- Leaning projections (like the chimney)
- Items missing from projections (like flashing, bricks, a cap, etc)
Look for trouble spots like:
- Loose stones or siding.
- Knots that have popped out.
- Water stains
The main thing to check for here is cracking and water damage. Additionally, if your plants are growing on or encroaching the foundation, this may cause a problem. Give the foundation a little breathing space.
Check for leakage around the windows as well as breaks in the protective screens or glass.
- Loose railing and boards underfoot
- Check for loose steps
- Ensure the connection between your home and the deck or patio is solid
Check out your driveway and walkways for chips and cracks as well as other tripping hazards.
Additionally, check the exterior of your home for signs of termites and pests. Look for nests or hives in your eaves and around your home. Also, take a look your exterior lighting.
Be sure to take pictures of any damage and write down what you find. Once you have a full picture, list every maintenance action by priority and by what you know how to fix. If there’s something you can’t fix on a DIY basis, contact a professional for an estimate.